Crawfish Pie Recipe
Celebrate the delicious flavors of crawfish with this delicate yet extremely tasty recipe for crawfish pie! This recipe is courtesy of Louisiana Kitchen and Culture Magazine. Not familiar with crawfish? Get an intro course with Five Ways to Enjoy Crawfish.
Ingredients for Crawfish Pie:
- 5 tablespoons butter, in all
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces cooked Louisiana crawfish tails
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 prepared piecrust
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Place a small sauté pan over low heat; melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion and celery and cook until beginning to soften, about 6 to 8 minutes; do not brown.
3. Add green onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in Creole seasoning and lemon juice; set aside.
4. Place a large sauté pan over medium-low heat; add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and melt. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a dark blonde roux is achieved.
5. Add cooked vegetable mix to roux and stir; stir in crawfish tails and cook until heated through.
6. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese.
7. Line a shallow 10-inch pie pan with prepared piecrust. Spoon crawfish mixture into piecrust.
8. Place in oven and bake until heated through and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.
When buying seafood, make sure to check labels to ensure that you're buying domestic product, from Louisiana if available. U.S. seafood tastes better and it's regulated by the FDA, so it's always safe.